The photograph, above, was taken June 2013 at the Biltmore when we visited there.
North Carolina, USA, the Tar Heel State
Colony founded 1653; 12th State; Statehood, 1789; First US census 1790; Capital City, Raleigh Scroll down for research resources.
Some family names associated with North Carolina:
- Abraham Alford 1787 Franklin, NC – 1855 AL
- Edwin Barksdale Alford 1792 in NC – 1878 MS
- Isaac Alford b 1748 in Butte Co, NC
- Jacob Alford b 1761 in Butte Co, NC – d 1824 LA
- John Alford b c 1747 in Butte Co, NC
- Julius Alford 1717 VA – 1771 in Butte Co, NC
- Needham J Alford 1789 NC – 1869 TX
- Thomas Ashley, Jr. c 1710 – 1790 Bertie, NC
- Edward Brown 1730 – 1797 in Jones Co, NC
- Hardy Brown c 1771 – c 1799 Jones, NC
- John Watson Brumfield Craven Co, NC
- Richard Dillon 1745 VA – 1833 MS; lived in NC
- Theophilous Dillon b 1796 in Bertie Co, NC
- Willis D Dillon b 1787 in Bertie Co, NC
- William S Kelly & Mary Durham; m 1776 NC
- Humphrey Lawrence c 1726 – 1772 Bertie, NC
- Peter P Lawrence b c 1780 Bertie NC – 1852 Edgecombe, NC
- Robert Lawrence c 1680 VA – 1744 Bertie, NC
- Joanna (Dillon) Smith b 1778 Bertie Co, NC – d c 1821
History & Overview. According to the History Channel Website:
One of the original 13 colonies, North Carolina was the first state to instruct its delegates to vote for independence from the British crown during the Continental Congress. Following the Revolutionary War, North Carolina developed an extensive slave plantation system and became a major exporter of cotton and tobacco, although the slave population remained relatively small compared to that of other southern states. In 1861, North Carolina became one of 11 states to secede from the United States, beginning the American Civil War. Despite no major battles being fought in the state, North Carolina sent more recruits to fight for the Confederacy than any other rebel state. In 1903, the state became the site of the first manned self-propelled airplane flight when the Wright brothers took off from a cliff near Kitty Hawk.
Websites for North Carolina research:
- Access Genealogy – Free Data & Links for North Carolina
- Ancestor Hunt – Many links to state resources; newspapers
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
- County & Town Histories for North Carolina and Other States
- Craven County Genealogical Society of North Carolina
- Cyndi’s List for North Carolina
- Duke University Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Eastern North Carolina Digital Library
- The Edgecomb County Genealogy Society
- Franklin County Library of North Carolina
- Heritage Genealogical Society [Jones, Greene, Lenoir counties]
- Heritage Place [focus on eastern NC]
- Jones Co., NC Genealogy resources
- Military Organizations in Colonial North Carolina
- North Carolina Collection at Chapel Hill
- North Carolina Dept of Health Vital Records
- North Carolina Facts & Trivia
- North Carolina Family Records Online
- North Carolina Genealogical Society
- North Carolina Genealogy Project
- North Carolina Maps
- North Carolina Office of Archives & History
- North Carolina Online Historical Newspapers
- North Carolina State Government Publications Collection
- Old New Hanover Genealogical Society
- Southern Historical Collection at Chapel Hill
- State Archives of North Carolina
- State Library of North Carolina
A few of my blog posts on North Carolina Research:
- Evidence of Richard Dillon in Bertie Co., NC
- Evidence of Humphrey Lawrence in Bertie Co., NC
- Colonial Bertie Co., NC Deed Books
- Evidence of Thomas Ashley in Bertie Co., NC
- Jones Co., NC Records
- A NC Treasure: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
Books for NC Research:
- Bell, Mary Best (1963) Colonial Bertie County, N. C., Deed Books A – H, 1720 – 1757. Greenville, SC: Southern Historical Press, Inc.
- Bradley, S. E. (1992) The Deeds of Bertie County, North Carolina, 1757 – 1772. Keysville, VA.
- Aiken, Nancy Bryan. Minutes of the Jones County North Carolina Court of Common Pleas and Quarter Sessions 1826 – 1841. Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, Inc., 2002. 975.621
- Clemens, William Montgomery. North and South Carolina Marriage Records. Reprint. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 2002.
- Corbett, David Leroy. The Formation of North Carolina Counties, 1663–1943. Raleigh, N.C.:Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1950.
- Fouts, R. P. (1982) Marriages of Bertie County, North Carolina, 1762 – 1868. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield Co., Inc.
- Grimes, J. B. (1910) Abstract of North Carolina Wills (Volume 7). Retrieved April 2017 from digital.lib.ecu.edu.
- Gwynn, Zae Hargett. Abstracts of The Records of Jones County North Carolina 1779 – 1868. I. Memphis, TN: Zae Hargett Gwynn and Henry Norburne Gwynn. 975.621
- Haines, Jeffrey L., Research in North Carolina, Research in the States Series, NGS Special Publication No. 85. Arlington, Va.: National Genealogical Society, 2008.
- Hathaway, U. R. B. (Ed.) (1900) The North Carolina Historical and Genealogical Register. Edenton Publishers, North Carolina. Retrieved April 2017 from archive.org.
- Holcomb, B. H. (2007) Bute County, North Carolina: Land Grants Plats and Land Entries. Westminister, MD: Heritage Books.
- Haun, Weynette Parks. North Carolina Revolutionary Army Accounts: Secretary of State,Treasurer’s & Comptroller’s Papers. 18 vols. Durham, N.C.: W. P. Haun, 1988–1999.
- Hofmann, Margaret M. Province of North Carolina, 1663–1729, Abstracts of Land Patents.Weldon, N.C.: Roanoke News Company, 1979.
- Kammerer, Roger E. Onslow Register records of Onslow & Jones County Citizens and Related Families. II. 1988.975.62
- Leary, Helen (1996) North Carolina Research: Genealogy and Local History. Raleigh: North Carolina Genealogical Society.
- Manarin, Louis H., Weymouth T. Jordan, Matthew M. Brown, and Michael W. Coffey, eds.North Carolina Troops, 1861–1865: A Roster. 18 vols. Raleigh, N.C.: State Department ofArchives and History, 1966–2011.
- Mitchell, Thornton W. North Carolina Wills: A Testator Index, 1665–1900. rev. ed. Baltimore,Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992.
- Mobley, Joe A., ed. The Way We Lived in North Carolina. The University of North Carolina Press, 2003.
- North Carolina Division of Archives and History, Archives and Records Section. Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: State Agency Records. Raleigh, N.C.:Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives and History, Archives and Records Section, 1995.
- North Carolina Office of Archives and History. Guide to County Records in the North Carolina State Archives. 12th ed. Raleigh, N.C.: Department of Cultural Resources, Office of Archives and History, 2009.
- Owen, T. A. (1993) History and Genealogies of Old Granville County, North Carolina, 1746 – 1800. Greenville, S. C.: Southern Historical Press, Inc.
- Powell, W. S. (1989) North Carolina Through Four Centuries. NC: The University of North Carolina Press.
- Powell, William S. and Michael Hill. The North Carolina Gazetteer: A Dictionary of Tar Heel Places and Their History. 2nd ed. Chapel Hill, N.C. The University of North Carolina Press,2010.
- Ratcliff, C. E. (1987) North Carolina Taxpayers, 1679 – 1790 (Volume 2). Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc.
- Roster of Soldiers from North Carolina in the American Revolution, with an Appendix Containinga Collection of Miscellaneous Records. 1932, reprint. Baltimore, Md.: GenealogicalPublishing Co., 1988.
- Smallwood, A. D. (2002) Bertie County; An Eastern Carolina History. Charleston, S. C. : Arcadia Publishing.
- Turner, J. K. (1920) History of Edgecombe County, North Carolina (2015 Reprint). Raleigh, NC: Edwards & Broughton Printing Co. (Reprint by Forgotten Books).
- Watson, A. D. (1998) Bertie County, A Brief History. Raleigh, NC: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources.
- Whitley, Caroline B. North Carolina Headrights: A List of Names, 1663 – 1744. Raleigh, North Carolina: Office of Archives and History, NC Dept of Cultural Resources, 2008.
- Williams, R. S. and Griffin, M. G. (1958) Marriages of Early Edgecombe County North Carolina, 1733 – 1868 (2017 Reprint). Rocky Mount, NC: Dixie Letter Service (Reprint Marham, VA: The Apple Manor Press).