Alberta Joy (Gardner) Brown was born 26 March 1928 in Bronx, New York City. She was the daughter of Nathaniel Gardner and Helen F. Coyle. On 8 August 1948, in New York, she married Delbert Keith Brown. They had four children. She died 10 August 1992 and is buried in Germantown Cemetery, NY.
- 1930 US Census, Bronx, NY, Microfilm Roll #1476, ED 3-400, Block N, Page 143, Lines 88 – 90; National Archives, Pittsfield, MA. Nathaniel Gardner family living at 1527 Plymouth Ave, Bronx, NY.
- 1933 – 1934 New York City Directory (Boroughs of Manhattan and the Bronx), Microfilm Box #75, page 1304; National Archives, Pittsfield, MA. Nathan and Helen Gardner living at 2854 E 197th.
- 1940 US Census, New York, Bronx, SD 24, ED 3-814, Sheet 11B. Nathan, Helen & Joy Gardner at 2856 E 197 Street.
- Certificate of Birth for Alberta Joy Gardner, 26 March 1928, registered no. 4709, State of New York, City of New York, Department of Health.
- Interviews, family papers, letters, diary, photographs, etc.