My father’s family tree has roots that stretch back to the Alford family. My great grandmother was Rose Ella (Brumfield) Brown, born 18 July 1867 in Mississippi. Her mother was Martha Elizabeth Alford [daughter of Edwin Barksdale Alford & Martha P. Smith].
Read more about these Alfords:
- Edwin Barksdale Alford 1792 – 1878
- Ina L. (Brown) Alford 1890 – 1972
- Jacob Alford b. 1761
- James Alford c. 1687 – c. 1730
- Julius Alford 1717 – 1771
- Julius N Alford 1838 – 1916
- Martha E (Alford) Brumfield 1846 – c1910
- Martha P (Smith) Alford 1802 – 1861
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Pike County, Mississippi. Deluxe. Norman, Oklahoma: Arphax Publishing Co., 2005. [Other counties available from publisher]
- Clawson, Alma Dell Magee, Fields of Bloom. Privately Printed, 1972.
- Conerly, Luke Ward. Pike County Mississippi, Pioneer Families & Confederate Soldiers, 1798 – 1876. 2008 Edition. Madison, Georgia: Southern Lion Books, 1909.
- Conerly, Luke Ward, Source records from Pike County, Mississippi 1798 – 1910. South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1989.
- Creel, Bevin J. A Patriot’s Legacy: The Family of Richard Dillon and Ann Lawrence From Bertie County, North Carolina To Southern Mississippi and Louisiana. Franklinton, Louisiana: Privately Printed, 2002.
- Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1885. Greenwell Springs, LA.
- Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1890. Greenwell Springs, LA.
- Heard, Ruby Alford and Gil Alford, ‘Early Mississippi Alfords,’ AAFA (1990) p. 35and (1991) p. 22.
- Magee, Zuma Fendlason. Selected Obituaries from Louisiana (Washington & Tangipahoa Parishes) and from Mississippi (Pike, Walthall & Marion Counties). Volume II. Franklinton, Louisiana: Privately printed, 1976. From Franklinton Library, LA.
- Parish, Ray and June Sartin. Cemetery Inscriptions of Pike County, Mississippi.
- Saunders, Carolyn Alford. “Getting to Know Warren Jackson Alford.” AAFA Action Official Publication of the Alford Maerican Family Association XIX(2006): 6 – 7.
- Saunders, Carolyn Alford. My Alford Heritage. Texas: Morgan Printing, Limited Edition, 2005.
- Williams, E. Russ. Abstracts of Obituaries from the Minutes of the Magee’s Creek Baptist Association (Mississippi and Louisiana), 1882 – 1924. Monroe, Louisiana: Privately printed, 1978. From the Louisiana Archives, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Williams, Jr., Ernest Russ. A Potpourri of Historical Data concerning the Founding Families and Individuals of Washington Parish, Louisiana, 1798 – 1860. Monroe, LA: Northeast Louisiana University, 1990. FHL 976.311
Related Posts from Leaves & Branches
- April 17, 2015: Join in! Arbor Day: " Oldest Tree”
- November 4, 2014: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks; week 44; Jacob Alford in NC & LA
- August 12, 2014: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks = Week #32; Martha P Smith in SC & MS
- August 5, 2014: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks = Week #31; Edwin Barksdale Alford
- July 6, 2014: Sunday Obituary – J. A. Brumfield of LA & MS
- June 20, 2014: My Great Great Grands
- April 22, 2014: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks = Week #16; Martha E Alford Brumfield; Great Great Grandma
- April 15, 2014: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks = Week #15; Jessie A Brumfield; Soldier & Farmer
- February 21, 2014: History of Washington Parish LA
- February 16, 2014: Obituary Sunday - Book of Selected Obituaries