The photograph, above, was taken 2009 in New Orleans while my family was visiting the city.
The Brumfield family tree might have originated in Great Britain before crossing the ocean to the American colony. More than one lineage has been presented as the original Brumfield ancestry. According to Dell Clawson:
The name Brumfield, used to describe a place, it is believed to be of Welsh origin and to mean a field of broom. An ancient family of this name is recorded as of Welsh origin in the fifteenth century and an early record reveals a Brumfield family in the County Kent, England in 1273. There is a town in England called Broomfield.[i]
Similarly, Charlotte J. Stewart wrote:
The distinguished name of Brumfield is an English local name meaning ‘broom field’, that is, a field of broom plants, a shrub of the bean family with stiff green branches, a conspicuous growth of the English heath. In many cases the progenitors of families bearing such names came from, or lived nearby, the places indicated by their surnames.[ii]
- Charles Brumfield 1796 – 1870
- Charlotte Temple (Ott) Brumfield 1815 – 1895
- Davis Brumfield 1795 – 1863
- Elijah Brumfield 1805 – 1854
- Isaac Brumfield 1801 – 1862
- Jessie Alexander Brumfield 1838 – c. 1910
- Jesse K Brumfield 1807 – 1884
- John Brumfield 1768 – 1834
- John W Brumfield 1811 – 1889
- Martha E (Alford) Brumfield 1846 – c1910
- Nathaniel Brumfield b. 1813
- Rose Ella (Brumfield) Brown 1867 – 1948
- Willis Brumfield 1794 – 1833
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Pike County, Mississippi. Deluxe. Norman, Oklahoma: Arphax Publishing Co., 2005. [Other counties available]
- Conerly, Luke Ward. Pike County Mississippi, Pioneer Families & Confederate Soldiers, 1798 – 1876. 2008 Edition. Madison, Georgia: Southern Lion Books, 1909.
- Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1885. Greenwell Springs, LA.
- Holcomb, Brent H. York County, South Carolina Will Abstracts 1787 – 1862 [1170 – 1862]. Columbia, SC: SCMAR, 2002. 975.743
- Holcomb, Brent H. York Co, South Carolina Deed Abstracts 1786 – 1801 [1772 – 1801]. I. Columbia, SC: SCMAR, 2008.FHL 975.743
- Houston, Martha Lou. Indexes to the County Wills of South Carolina. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1970.
- Magee, Zuma Fendlason. Selected Obituaries from Louisiana (Washington & Tangipahoa Parishes) and from Mississippi (Pike, Walthall & Marion Counties). Volume II. Franklinton, Louisiana: Privately printed, 1976. From Franklinton Library, LA.
- Randolph, Ruth Brumfield, and Nell Brumfield Jacobs Smith. Brumfields Revisited: Ancestors and Descendants of George Y. and Martha Penny Brumfield. Privately printed, 1995.
- Williams, E. Russ. Abstracts of Obituaries from the Minutes of the Magee’s Creek Baptist Association (Mississippi and Louisiana), 1882 – 1924. Monroe, Louisiana: Privately printed, 1978. From the Louisiana Archives, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Williams, Jr., E. Russ. History of Washington Parish, Louisiana 1798 – 1992. I. 1994. 976.311
- Williams, Jr., Ernest Russ. A Potpourri of Historical Data concerning the Founding Families and Individuals of Washington Parish, Louisiana, 1798 – 1860. Monroe, LA: Northeast Louisiana University, 1990. FHL 976.311
Related Posts from Leaves & Branches
[rssinpage rssfeed=’http://leavesnbranches.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/Brumfield’ rssformat=’x: Y’ rssdateformat=’F j, Y’ rssitems=’10’]