John D. Brumfield served in the Civil War. After the death of his older brother, Martin Penn Brumfield, he and his brother, Jessie Alexander Brumfield, enlisted. They served together in the 9th Battalion, 3rd Calvary, Company C. They enlisted together 14 May 1862. They had been living in Franklinton, LA. Both were paid a $50 bounty for signing up for 3 years service. John was a private.
1 John D. Brumfield b: 29 July 1842 in Louisiana, d: 01 April 1903
…… + Zadie Martin
…………2 John D. T. Brumfield b: September 1890 in Louisiana
…………2 James H. Brumfield b: July 1892 in Louisiana
- Wallis, Ruth Temple. Descendants of Jacob Ott of South Carolina and Louisiana. Privately printed.
- 1850 Census. Louisiana. taken 31 Oct. 1850. Line 28. N. Bromfield
- 1860 US Census, Washington Parish, Louisiana. Elijah Brumfiel, Martin Brumfield, Josiah Brumfield
- 1880 US Census, Washington, Louisiana SD 1, ED 194, Page 35
- 1900 US Census, Washington, Louisiana SD 6, ED 97, Sheet 21
John D. Brumfield