The surname of this family evolved from Van Valkenberg in the Netherlands in 1540 to Fortenberry in the United States, with many variations in the past and present. Those variations include Falkenberg, Faulkenberry & Fortinberry.
Andries Van Valkenberg, born circa 1540 in Linburg Province, Netherlands.[i]Andries was a tailor.[ii],[iii]The name of his wife is unknown but we know they had at least three children: Maria Van Valkenberg, Michael Van Valkenberg and Lambert Dryskens Van Valkenberg, all born in the Netherlands.
Adries’ son, Lambert Dryskens Van Valkenberg, was born circa 1570 and married Maria [surname unknown]. Their children were: Margaretha Van Valkenberg, Andries Lemmon Van Valkenberg, Jan Van Valkenberg, Catalijne Van Valkenberg, Elisabeth Van Valkenberg, Arnoldus Van Valkenberg and Lambert Jochemse Van Valkenberg.
Read about the Fortenberry family:
- Burrell Taylor Fortenberry 1820 – 1863
- Calvin Kennington Fortenberry 1806 – 1877
- Euseba (Fortenberry) Smith 1809 – 1878
- Gasua Chapman Fortenberry 1805 – 1884
- Jacob Faulkenberry b. c. 1715
- John Faulkenberry b 1740
- William J. Fortenberry c1772 – 1842
- 1820 Lancaster County, South Carolina Census. FHL 975.745
- Arnold, Jr., Stanley W., and Louise Anderson. Marion County Mississippi Cemeteries. 2nd Printing. North Little Rock, Arkansas: Custom Printing, 1988.
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Pike County, Mississippi. Deluxe. Norman, Oklahoma: Arphax Publishing Co., 2005. [Other counties available from publisher]
- Conerly, Luke Ward. Pike County Mississippi, Pioneer Families & Confederate Soldiers, 1798 – 1876. 2008 Edition. Madison, Georgia: Southern Lion Books, 1909.
- Criminger, Adrianne Fortenberry. The Fortenberry Families of Southern Mississippi. South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1984.
- Ellis, Joanne. Lancaster County, SC Cemetery Date. I. Lancaster, SC: DD, Inc., 1995. FHL 975.745
- Faulkenberry, Peggy Elliott. The Faulkenberry Family. Can be found at the Lancaster Co Library, SC.
- Fortinberry, G. K. Abstract History of the Fortinberry Family; 1795-1940’s; Family History Center Microfilm #1036152
- Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1885. Greenwell Springs, LA.
- Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1900.
- Holcomb, Brent H. Lancaster County, South Carolina Deed Abstracts 1787 – 1811. Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press. FHL 975.745
- Jeffcoat, Frances R. Lancaster District 1850 census of the USA. 1984. FHL 975.745
- Moss, Bobby Gilmmore. Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American Revolution. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1983. [David Faulkenberry, page 306]
- Small, Otha B. 1810 Lancaster County South Carolina Census. Monroe, North Carolina. FHL 975.745
- White, Virgil D. Genealogical Abstracts of Revolutionary War Pension Files. Volume II: F – M. Waynesboro, Tennessee: The National Historical Publishing Company, 1991. [David Faulkenberry page 1163]
- Williams, E. Russ. Abstracts of Obituaries from the Minutes of the Magee’s Creek Baptist Association (Mississippi and Louisiana), 1882 – 1924. Monroe, Louisiana: Privately printed, 1978. From the Louisiana Archives, Baton Rouge, LA.
Related Posts from Leaves & Branches
[rssinpage rssfeed=’http://leavesnbranches.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/Fortenberry’ rssformat=’x: Y’ rssdateformat=’F j, Y’ rssitems=’10’]