The Dillon Family
Richard Dillon served in the Revolutionary War. According to Luke Ward Conerly: Richard Dillon “…saw service as an enlistee on the vessel ‘Greyhound,’ a privateersman commanded by Samuel Butler. With the capture of that vessel, he was made a prisoner on the English frigate ‘Baloosa’ which carried 36 guns and was commanded by a Captain Kennedy, a Scotsman. After a nine-month imprisonment, he again returned to Bertie County.” About 1810-He move to Pike County. He lived there till his death “which supposedly occurred on his 89th birthdate in 1833.” Eight known children are listed.
Brothers Theophilous, Willis & Clarkston Dillon served in the War of 1812. Clarkston was involved in the Battle of New Orleans. Willis was a trumpeter for the 13th Mississippi Regiment. Theophilous was in a regiment of mounted riflemen.
Read more about:
- James T Dillon bc 1719 Ireland
- Joanna (Dillon) Smith 1778 NC – c 1821 MS
- Richard Dillon 1745 VA – 1833 MS
- Creel, Bevin J. A Patriot’s Legacy: The Family of Richard Dillon and Ann Lawrence From Bertie County, North Carolina To Southern Mississippi and Louisiana. Franklinton, Louisiana: Privately Printed, 2002.
- Conerly, Luke Ward. Pike County Mississippi, Pioneer Families & Confederate Soldiers, 1798 – 1876. 2008 Edition. Madison, Georgia: Southern Lion Books, 1909.
- Conerly, Luke Ward. Source Records From Pike County, Mississippi 1798-1910; 1798-1910; South Carolina, Southern Historical Press, 1989.
- DAR website, ancestor Richard Dillon #A036157
- Compiled Service records of Volunteer Soldiers who Served During the War of 1812 in Organizations from the Territory of Mississippi, NARA film #M678, roll 6, 13 th Regiment, Nixon’s, 1815, Clarkson Dillon. from fold3
- The Jeremiah Smith, Sr. Bible, c. 1800 – 1917, Bible in possession of Mrs. W. C. Uhlman, Tylertown, Mississippi. Copy given to me by Pat (Brock) Smith.
Related Posts from Leaves & Branches
- December 9, 2014: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks; Week 49; Richard Dillon; Cooper & Soldier
- October 28, 2014: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks; Week 43; Jeremiah Smith in SC & MS
- September 12, 2013: Evidence of Richard Dillon in Bertie Co., North Carolina
- August 27, 2013: Tombstone Tuesday - Wyatt Smith
- July 9, 2013: Travel Tuesday - A North Carolina Treasure
- June 22, 2013: Surname Saturday – Lawrence
- June 15, 2013: Surname Saturday - Alphabetical Ancestors L
- April 28, 2013: Census Sunday – Dillon in MS
- February 23, 2013: Surname Saturday – Dillon
- February 16, 2013: Surname Saturday - Alphabetical Ancestors - D