My family is related to the Brady family tree through my maternal lines. My grandmother’s grandmother was Margaret (Brady) Coyle. Margaret’s parents were Thomas Brady & Catherine Gibney. This family originated in County Cavan, Ireland with some later branches moving to New Jersey, Connecticut and New York.
Gillespie, Raymond. Cavan: Essays on the History of An Irish County. Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2004. The essays in this book give evidence of the Brady family in County Cavan as far back as the 1500s. For example,
“The bishop of the diocese [Kilmore] during the very difficult years of the 1580s, 1590s and early seventeenth century was the Franciscan, Richard Brady.”
In this history book, the name Brady is often associated with political or religious controversy.
The first clear evidence of our family in County Cavan is a record of the wedding of Thomas Brady, a farmer, and Catherine (Gibney) Brady on 17 May 1841 in Foxfield [Omard].
Read more about:
- Bartholomew Anthony Brady 1866 – 1943
- John Brady 1864 – 1957
- Patrick Brady b. c. 1847
- Thomas Brady d. 1914
Related Posts from Leaves & Branches
- April 5, 2020: Sunday's Obituary: John Joseph Brady
- March 16, 2020: Irish: In my Roots & In my Heart
- March 8, 2020: Sunday's Obituary: Catherine Kilday Thompson
- February 16, 2020: Sunday's Obituary: Eileen G. Brady, ex- Assemblywoman
- February 10, 2020: February Anniversary: 150 Years Ago, Patrick & Margaret Coyle
- January 14, 2020: Tombstone Tuesday: Brady in Whiting Memorial Park, NJ
- June 9, 2019: Cousins = Friends
- December 31, 2016: A Time to Write: The Books Arrived!
- March 1, 2016: Tombstone Tuesday: Eileen Brady & Morris Winston
- February 23, 2016: Tombstone Tuesday: Bartholomew A Brady