My family is related to the Brady family tree through my maternal lines. My grandmother’s grandmother was Margaret (Brady) Coyle. Margaret’s parents were Thomas Brady & Catherine Gibney. This family originated in County Cavan, Ireland with some later branches moving to New Jersey, Connecticut and New York.
Gillespie, Raymond. Cavan: Essays on the History of An Irish County. Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2004. The essays in this book give evidence of the Brady family in County Cavan as far back as the 1500s. For example,
“The bishop of the diocese [Kilmore] during the very difficult years of the 1580s, 1590s and early seventeenth century was the Franciscan, Richard Brady.”
In this history book, the name Brady is often associated with political or religious controversy.
The first clear evidence of our family in County Cavan is a record of the wedding of Thomas Brady, a farmer, and Catherine (Gibney) Brady on 17 May 1841 in Foxfield [Omard].
Read more about:
- Bartholomew Anthony Brady 1866 – 1943
- John Brady 1864 – 1957
- Patrick Brady b. c. 1847
- Thomas Brady d. 1914
Related Posts from Leaves & Branches
- March 1, 2016: Tombstone Tuesday: Eileen Brady & Morris Winston
- February 23, 2016: Tombstone Tuesday: Bartholomew A Brady
- February 16, 2016: Tombstone Tuesday: Bernard I Brady
- October 13, 2015: Tombstone Tuesday
- October 6, 2015: Tombstone Tuesday: Brady in New Jersey
- September 29, 2015: Tombstone Tuesday: Immaculate Conception Cemetery, NJ
- September 6, 2015: Sunday's Obituary: Retired Police Officer
- August 30, 2015: Sunday's Obituary: East Orange Man was on Plane at Nagasaki in A-Bomb Raid
- August 23, 2015: Sunday's Obituary: Catherine Mary/Mary Katherine Brady Hertz
- August 16, 2015: Sunday's Obituary: Bernard I. Brady