Charles Forest Mark was born 2 May 1892 in Chester, Wayne, Ohio. He was the son of William Mark and Elidia Rebecca Ritter. He married Bertha Flickinger, daughter of Andrew & Emma Flickinger. About 1965 Bertha wrote a genealogy of the Mark family. She typed it up and xeroxed copies that are still in circulation between family members. There are errors but it is a good starting point for the family. In 1918 Charles enlisted in the Army. He served till June 1919. In 1920 Charles was a farm laborer, living with his brother Amos Mark. In 1930 Charles was a carpenter for a house builder. Charles and Bertha are buried in Wooster Cemetery.
1 Charles Forest Mark b: 02 May 1892 Chester, Wayne, OH, d: 30 April 1967 OH
…… + Bertha Flickinger b: 02 March 1904 in Wayne, OH, m: 02 June 1923 in Overton, Wayne, OH, d: 01 July 2000 in Wooster, Wayne, OH
…………2 Charles Joseph Mark
………… + Rita Jane Charron b: 1931, d: 19 Dec 1964
…………2 Lucile Marguerite Mark
………… + William Alered Huff b: 01 Jan 1926 Newcomerstown, Tuscarawas, OH, m: 09 March 1947 OH, d: 01 Jan 1979 in Dalton, Wayne, OH
………… + Charles George Kindig
…………2 Virginia Lynett Mark
………… + Eli Warren Jr.
………… + Darrell Fitchner
…………2 William Andrew Mark
………… + Linda Lou Danner
Obituary for Charles:
“Charles Mark, 74, Of Wooster. Charles F. Mark, 74, of Wooster died Sunday at Orville Osteopathic Hospital following a three months illness. He was a carpenter in this ares for 42 years, helping to build some of the beautiful homes and stores in Wooster. Mr. Mark was also a World War I veteran of the 39th Division. He was born May 3, 1892, in Chester Twp. near Overton to William and Rebecca Ritter Mark. Surviving are his wife, Bertha Flickinger Mark; two sons, Charles Joseph of Chicopee, Mass., and William of RD 6; two daughters, Mrs. Lucile Huff of Dalton and Mrs. Betty Fichtner of West Covina, Calif.; eight grandchildren; and four brothers, Thomas of Wadsworth, Amos of RD 5, Guy of Burbank RD 2, and James of Wooster. HIs parents, two brothers, four sisters, two half – brothers, and a half – sister and a daughter – in – law died previously. service will be Wednesday at 1:30 p. m. at McIntire Funeral Home. Robert Hofstetter will officiate.”
- Birth Record for Charles F. Marks, 2 May 1892, Volume 3, page 138, #22, Wayne County Probate Court, Court House, 107 W Liberty St., Wooster, Ohio. Parents: Wm Marks and Rebecca Ritter in Chester.
- Genealogy of William Mark Family; 1844-1965; Compiled by Bertha Flickinger Mark
- Pension application of William Mark; 1865-1905; Civil War, Ohio Volunteer Inf.,Co.I, 195 Regiment, filed by widow Rebecca Mark, National Archives, Washington, D.C.
- 1900 Federal Census, Wayne Co., Ohio; 1900; Vol. 155, E.D. 142, Sheet 10; Line 37; Family History Center Micorfilm #1241331; Chester Township. Charles F. “Marks”, 8, born May 1892 in Ohio
- World War I Draft Registration filled out June 5, 1917
Charles Marks, age 23 RR#9 Wooster, Ohio, Self employed Farmer in Chester Township.
- Marriage License and Certificate for Charles Mark and Bertha Flickinger, 2 June 1923, Volume 21, Page 191, Wayne Co Probate Court, Court House, 107 West Liberty Street, Wooster, Ohio
- Hauenstein, Edward Harry. A History of Wayne Co in the World War and in Wars of the Past. Wooster, Ohio: Wayne Co History Co., 1919.
- Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the World War 1917 – 18. XI. Columbus, Ohio: F. J. Heer Printing Co., 1926.
- 1920 U.S. Census, Wayne County, Ohio; 1920; Vol 209, ED 191, Sheet 6; Line 83; National Archives, Pittsfield, Mass., 1581 Roll 292 (Soundex), T625 Roll 1448 (Report); NOTES: Amos Mark & Lily & son & brother Charles
- 1930 U. S. Census, Chester, Wayne, Ohio, SD 14, ED 85 – 7, Sheet 2A. Charles F. Mark, 38. Carpenter for House Builder.
- Certificate of Death for Charles Forest Mark, 30 April 1967, Registrar’s #139, Division of Vital Statistics, Ohio Department of Health, Wayne Co. Health Dept., 203 S Walnut Street, Wooster.
- “Charles Mark, 74, Of Wooster.” Daily Record 1 May 1967: Page 2.
- Wooster Cemetery. Tombstone “MARK: Charles F. 1892 – 1967; Bertha 1904 -“