Allen M Brown 1836 MS – after 1870
The Allen Moses Brown was born 26 January 1836 in Liberty, Amite County, Mississippi. On 28 April 1858 he married Emmaline Smith, daughter of Wyatt Smith and Euseba Fortenberry.[i],[ii] In 1860 Allen and Emmaline lived with his widowed mother and younger brother, James, in Amite County, Mississippi. Allen was a planter whose personal estate was valued at $600.[iv]
By 1870 Allen Moses Brown had moved from Amite County to Pike County, Mississippi. He was a farmer whose real estate was valued at $350. Their three children were living at home: Mary E. Brown, eight years old; Jasper Pascal Brown, six years old; and Alvira E. Brown, two years old.[i]
Allen Moses died between 1870 and 1880. Family stories say Allen was haying and got very hot. He went into the river to cool off and he drown.[ii]Stories say Allen is buried in an unmarked grave in the Wyatt Smith cemetery.[iii]
….. + Emmaline Smith b: 13 Sept 1831 Pike, MS, m: 28 April 1858, d: 3 Aug 1920 Pike, MS
……….. 2 Mary E. Brown b: 13 August 1861
……….. 2 Jasper Pascal Brown b: 15 May 1865 Pike, MS, d: 8 June 1950 McComb, Pike, MS
……….. + Rose Ella Brumfield b: 18 July 1867 MS, m: 21 Dec 1887 Pike, MS, d: 02 Oct 1948 MS
……….. 2 Alvira E. Brown b: 05 Aug 1868
- 1850 US Census, Amite, MS
- 1860 US Census, Amite, MS
- 1870 U.S. Census, MS, Pike, Osyka; Page 3, Line 19; Allen M. Brown family.
- 1880 US Census, Pike Co, MS
- Conerly, Luke Ward. Resource Records of Pike / Walthall Counties Mississippi, 1798 – 1910. Reprint. Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, Inc., 1989.
- Certificate of Death; 1950; Mississippi State Dept. of Health, Vital Records; 9908. Jasper P. Brown, died 8 June 1950 in Pike Co., Mississippi.
- Interviews with family members, family trees, groups sheets and other information from family members.